Hello, world!

A little story about how I got started with Ubuntu.

Three years ago, I was travelling in Manila and the SuSE installation on my Thinkpad R50e flaked out on me. Far away from my installation CDs, what could I do? Fortunately, my friend Migs had just given me his spare media kit of Ubuntu 5.04.

I shrugged. "Okay, I'm an old hand at Linux, and I really need to get my Thinkpad running. How hard can it be?"

Answer: not hard at all. In fact, it was absolutely easy.

A week after I got home, I'd already reinstalled all my home computers with Ubuntu. I've been running Ubuntu ever since, coaxing people to use it, and even printing my own Ubuntu shirts. Oh, and I got to meet Mark Shuttleworth, too.

So why this fascination with Ubuntu? Because it's an operating system that works very well for me. Oh, to be sure, it's not perfect, but I think it's better than other Linux distributions. And definitely better than Windows.

Well, that's what I think.

But more than that, it's also because of the Ubuntu spirit, which emphasizes humanity to others. I am who we are, so to speak. Isn't that a great philosophy?

This blog is a running journal of my experiences with Ubuntu. It's a compilation of tips and tricks on how to do everything with Ubuntu -- well, almost everything -- and how to get around some of its limitations. Having used Ubuntu and its variants for three years now, I've accumulated quite a bit of knowledge about this distro.

This is what I want to share with you.

If you find the tips here useful, do take time to share with others, too. After all, that's what Ubuntu is all about.

A little disclaimer: I'm not in any way associated with the Ubuntu project or Canonical, Ltd., the company that funds Ubuntu.

And finally, a little invitation: if you like what you see here, you might also want to visit my personal blog, Village Idiot Savant.