Why the command line?

When Windows first came out, one of the virtues espoused by Microsoft was its GUI environment.
"It's so easy to use now that it's graphical!" became some sort of a mantra.

Over the years, I've learned that this really isn't so. I'll concede that it makes some things easier at first, but it doesn't take long before the graphical user interface starts to get in the way.

If I were giving instructions on how to use an application with a GUI interface, I'd have to post screenshots. Lots of screenshots, for a completist like me. That makes the job of writing a manual much more difficult.

It's also quite awkward using the Menu Item->Sub-item->Sub-sub-item notation. It's already accepted practice, but I don't like it.

Contrast that with the command line. I tell you what to type, what options to put in, what parameters to use. Then I can tell you the expected output. All in text. So much easier.

So where necessary, I will give instructions for the graphical interface of an application. But as much as possible, I will also use the command line versions. Believe me, it's much faster.

Learn to use the command line. It's your friend.