A Windows sob story

I think it's time to expand the scope of this blog a little bit to include Windows-bashing. Just a little bit, I promise. I try not to do it anymore, but sometimes...sometimes...

Here's the story: I'm teaching at Ateneo de Davao University this semester. Subject: information security. There's a lab component, and to get the environment I want, I have to install VirtualBox and some images.

Problem number one: the computers don't have DVD-ROM drives, and I only brought a DVD. Solution? Transfer via network share. Simple, right?

So I'm looking over the lab assistant's shoulder, and what do I see her doing? She's firing up a Windows 98 virtual machine on Virtual PC on the Windows Server machine.

"Why do you have to do that?"

"Oh, because Windows Server limits me to just 10 simultaneous shares. To get around that, we have to share from Windows 98."

And that, my friends, is just so sad....