VirtualBox 2.1.0 Hits and Misses

When I installed VirtualBox 2.1.0, I was pleasantly surprised to find some significant new changes. From the change log:

  • Support for 64-bit guests on 32-bit host operating systems
  • Experimental 3D acceleration via OpenGL
  • Experimental LsiLogic and BusLogic SCSI controllers
  • Full VMDK/VHD support including snapshots
  • New NAT engine with significantly better performance
  • New Host Interface Networking implementations for Windows and Linux hosts with easier setup


Of greatest use to me was the new host interface networking. This used to be a pain to set up in previous versions of VirtualBox (actually I just gave up on it); now it runs without any hitches whatsoever. This means I can now run an accessible server as a VirtualBox guest.

The VMDK support means that I can now run VMWare guests on VirtualBox. I still have to try this feature, though.

And the misses? Just one, for now: the virtual disk cloning doesn't work. It results in a cloned disk image that is much smaller than the original. For the moment, I have to manually copy the disk image and set the UUID using

VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid myoriginal.vdi

I hope this gets fixed soon.