Timed shutdowns

Seems a little trivial but I thought I'd write it down anyway.

I sometimes leave my computer running when I need to download huge files (never mind what sort of files ;-) These downloads can take anywhere from a couple of hours to six hours to complete. But I don't want to leave the computer running longer than that.

Solution: timed shutdown.

The command is ridiculously simple:

sudo shutdown -h +180

for example, if I want the computer to shut down in 180 minutes' -- or three hours' -- time. Just enough to finish the download. Make sure to keep the console at which you issued the command open.

Take note that the computer will only notify you at the :00 and :30 marks (unless you're near the actual shutdown time, in which case it alerts you in multiples of five minutes).

Additional tip: shut down the monitor.