Geany IDE


Two seemingly unrelated things happened recently:

1) I gave away my old computer to a poor college scholar (plenty of those in the Philippines).

2) I find myself in a position where I have to go back to some coding.

The common thread between these two is the need for a decent but lightweight programming IDE. Said college scholar programs in C/C++, and I have to develop a simple point-of-sale for my sister's business.

The answer for both of us turned out to be Geany.

For its small size, Geany just gives me the right amount of features. I'm not a whizbang developer by any means so I don't need all the bells and whistles. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Eclipse.)

Geany is minimalist, which jives with my philosophy. But it also supports several languages: C, Java, JavaScript, PHP, HTML, CSS, Haskell, Python, Perl and Pascal. Just what I need!

Pictured above is an automatically generated template for HTML. Yes, it also generates templates for the other languages. That's really neat.

More on this in the coming weeks.