Jaunty, at last

My first look at the final release of Ubuntu 9.04, a.k.a., Jaunty Jackalope. Is it an eye test or am I just not seeing the jackalope in there? Kidding aside, it must be a new direction towards a less whimsical and more professional-looking desktop. But truth be told, thus far I like Intrepid Ibex's best.



Not too many changes on the shipped applications or user interface. It's really the same set of applications we've seen in the past few releases. On the one hand, it's a sign of stability; and on the other, dare I say that Ubuntu is becoming...boring?

The few tweaks that there are happened in the System->Administration menu. A new application, Computer Janitor, has been added.


Computer Janitor is supposed to clean up unnecessary files. That's the description on its About page, anyway. While it's a welcome addition, it doesn't look to be anything earthshaking.



Finally, here's a minor change in the installation process.



It's too early to tell what the performance bump is on Jaunty Jackalope. I'll know in a few days after I upgrade my laptop. Till then, a cautious "Well done!" to the Ubuntu team for releasing the new version on schedule.