Perl template for Geany

Summer classes are in full swing, and I'm teaching IT312 a.k.a. Open Source Technologies for Ateneo de Davao University again. I have 37 students, most of whom are actually well-behaved. They're all a bit overwhelmed by the material I'm throwing at them, so I have to constantly reassure them it's not finishing assignments that's important, it's what they learn.

Anyhow, I'll be introducing some bit of Perl, Python, and Ruby programming soon, and for that I'll be using Geany as my IDE.

Surprisingly, Geany doesn't have a template for Perl programs (though thankfully it does recognize and colorize Perl). To add Perl as a template, just create filetype.perl in ~/.geany/templates.

My Perl template is:


#!/usr/bin/env perl
{fileheader}

use warnings;
use strict;
use Data::Dumper;


Restart Geany, and Perl should now be visible as a template.