Partitioning misadventures, part 1: gparted

As a solution to my earlier dilemma on x86_64 vs. i386, I decided to have it both ways and dual-boot my system. My plan was to allocate 10GB each for the 32-bit and 64-bit Hardy, with the remaining 140GB or so of space as a shared /home partition. I had already divided my hard disk into a 10GB operating system partition and 150GB for home. Luckily, the Ubuntu installation provides a way to resize partitions.

Unfortunately, I wasn't careful with how I managed the repartitioning. I ended up with 10GB for the first OS partition, 12GB for a home partition, 10GB for the second OS partition, and the remaining space unallocated.

I could just have borne with the minor inconvenience but I anal-retentive obsessive compulsive that I am, I just had to have everything right.

My solution was to use gparted, the Gnome graphical partition editor. gparted lets you manipulate your partitions, including resize, transfer, and copy. It used to come with the default Ubuntu installation in the previous versions, but seems to have disappeared from Hardy. No matter: it's a quick install from the repositories.

In hindsight, I would have fared much better if I had simply run gparted from the LiveCD. As it turned out, I installed gparted on both operating system partitions and worked locally. It was a bit of a headache manipulating mounted partitions. Anyway, lesson learned and mission accomplished.

When I rebooted, though, I hit another brick wall: gparted had changed my partition allocations. That wrought havoc with my GRUB configuration. I eventually fixed that.